The Environmental Protection Network (EPN) is composed of more than 550 EPA alumni from across the country who volunteer their time to protect the integrity of EPA and its mission. EPN is dedicated to serving as a trusted resource and answering calls for objective analysis, scientific rigor, and facts about the environment and EPA.
EPN is currently focused on building the capacity of environmental agencies and the communities they serve to truly address the most urgent health and environmental crises.
- Ensure that EPA advances policies, budgets, and institutional changes to address climate and environmental injustices, as well as other pressing public health needs
- Provide pro bono capacity-building technical assistance and training to environmental justice communities, NGOs, and under-resourced state/local/tribal government agencies
- Train and mentor EPA staff and managers and recruit individuals from underrepresented populations to work at EPA
- Educate Congress and serve as a critical resource for facts, objective analysis, and scientific rigor for reporters and NGOs
EPN is seeking an Operations Associate. The Associate will be trained by and report to Policy Director Michelle Montoya, who is located in New York, and Senior Community Outreach Associate Kya Williams, who is located in Virginia. Work will be remote, as EPN does not have an office. There may be occasional in-person meetings and travel.
We are looking for a full-time Associate to start working ASAP in May 2023.
The Associate will be tasked with assisting the Policy Director (about 50% of their time) and the Senior Community Outreach Associate (about 50% of their time). Their first line supervisor will be the Policy Director. This work will include the following:
- Assist the Policy Director and:
- Schedule meetings with and draft emails to EPN volunteers and partners.
- Track projects and accomplishments in EPN’s database.
- Assist in identifying and developing new Congressional and NGO contacts.
- Enter expenses in Quickbooks and other HR-related tasks
- Track credit card expenses.
- Assist with Weekly EPN Update and Bimonthly Newsletter, as needed.
- Assist the Senior Community Outreach Associate and:
- Track and manage travel for EPN employees including booking airline tickets, ground transportation, and hotels, and ensuring that all travel is approved and reimbursed in a timely manner.
- Schedule and plan staff and external technical assistance events.
- Update the database.
- Support and assist EPN on other tasks as needed.
- At least 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- Interest in environmental justice, US environmental and health policy, and/or the work of EPA
- Experience with or knowledge of social justice and equity issues
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Detail oriented and unafraid to ask questions
- Ability to work independently, work on many different projects, and switch effectively from one task to another
- Experience working in collaborations or with multiple partners
- Strong work ethic
- Familiarity with Google Docs and Spreadsheets
SCHEDULE and COMPENSATION:
- 40 hours per week between roughly 9am and 5pm local time weekdays
- $40,000-$50,000 annual salary ($20-25/hour)
- 11 paid federal holidays and 3 weeks personal time off
- Healthcare and dental/vision care
- Up to a 4% match on employee contributions to a 401k
- After 6 months, $2,000/year reimbursement for purchase of phones, computers, headsets, printers, software or other personal equipment used consistently to carry out staff responsibilities
- Internet and phone reimbursement
- Flextime allowed and encouraged
Environmental injustices disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. Because these communities must be centered in the work we do, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com ASAP. While applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, priority will be given to those submitted by Friday, April 14, 2023. Please put “Operations Associate” in the subject line.