Communications and Operations Associate
The Environmental Protection Network (EPN) is composed of more than 550 EPA alumni from across the country who volunteer their time to protect the integrity of EPA and its mission. EPN is dedicated to serving as a trusted resource and answering calls for objective analysis, scientific rigor, and facts about the environment and EPA.
EPN is currently focused on building the capacity of environmental agencies and the communities they serve to truly address the most urgent health and environmental crises.
● Ensure that EPA advances policies, budgets, and institutional changes to address climate and environmental injustices, as well as other pressing public health needs
● Provide pro bono capacity-building technical assistance and training to environmental justice communities, NGOs, and under-resourced state/local/tribal government agencies
● Train and mentor EPA staff and managers and recruit individuals from underrepresented populations to work at EPA
● Educate Congress and serve as a critical resource for facts, objective analysis, and scientific rigor for reporters and NGOs
EPN is seeking a Communications and Operations Associate. The Associate will be trained by and report to Public Affairs Manager Steven Fantes, who is located in Massachusetts; Senior Community Outreach Associate Kya Williams, who is located in Virginia; and Policy Director Michelle Montoya, who is located in New York. Work will be remote, as EPN does not have an office. There may be some in-person meetings and travel in the future.
We are looking for a full-time Associate to start working ASAP in January 2023.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Associate will be tasked with assisting the Public Affairs Manager (about 50% of their time), assisting the Senior Community Outreach Associate (about 25% of their time), and assisting the Policy Director (about 25% of their time). Their first line supervisor will be the Public Affairs Manager. This work will include the following:
● Assist the Public Affairs Manager as they:
- Regularly pitch and connect with relevant national and regional reporters and media outlets on issues and federal policies that are important to EPN.
- Write and send all media advisories and press statements.
- Manage proactive and reactive interactions with the press.
- Write social media content and implement strategy, including on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Update EPN’s database with tasks and accomplishments from the above-mentioned tasks.
- Monitor EPN’s email delivery systems.
● Assist the Senior Community Outreach Associate and:
- Track and manage travel for EPN employees including booking airline tickets, ground transportation, and hotels, and ensuring that all travel is approved and reimbursed in a timely manner.
- Schedule and plan staff events.
● Assist the Policy Director and:
- Enter expenses in Quickbooks.
- Track credit card expenses.
- Assist with Weekly EPN Update and Bimonthly Newsletter, as needed.
● Support and assist EPN on other tasks as needed.
● At least 1-3 years of relevant work experience
● Interest in environmental justice, US environmental and health policy, and/or the work of EPA
● Experience with or knowledge of social justice and equity issues
● Strong writing skills
● Detail oriented and unafraid to ask questions
● Ability to work independently, work on many different projects, and switch effectively from one task to another
● Experience working in collaborations or with multiple partners
● Strong work ethic
● Familiarity with Google Docs and Spreadsheets
SCHEDULE and COMPENSATION:
● 40 hours per week between roughly 9am and 5pm local time weekdays
● $40,000-$50,000 annual salary ($20-25/hour)
● 11 paid federal holidays and 3 weeks leave
● Healthcare and dental/vision care
● Up to a 3% match on employee contributions to a SIMPLE IRA through Charles Schwab, Inc.
● After 6 months, $2,000/year reimbursement for purchase of phones, computers, headsets, printers, software or other personal equipment used consistently to carry out staff responsibilities
● Flextime allowed and encouraged
Environmental injustices disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. Because these communities must be centered in the work we do, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. While applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, priority will be given to those submitted by Friday, December 16, 2022. Please put “Communications and Operations Associate” in the subject line.